Thursday, June 28, 2007

Fade so Tight

I got my second hair cut in the country tonight in anticipation of our trip to Lamu Saturday. I can’t wait for our trip, this has been my most demanding week thus far work-wise and it will be nice to be in a place without cars, without distractions etc. We all went to a marina club the other day just after lunch. I was disappointed for the most part but we started poking around on the “dock” and ended up finding a few little treasures.

These boats were all really colorful (which none of you noticed I'm sure). I didn't have my camera so Grace was in charge of getting it all on camera. Shes a good photographer.

As we looked around at the fish swimming around the dock we noticed a few crabs hidden in the shadows of the dock using their claws like lawn mowers cutting all the algae which had attached itself to the dock. If you look behind the crab, the black containers you can see are large plastic jugs used here in Kenya to contain about every liquid imaginable. In this case they were holding air and not liquid. I have no idea how the physics of this works, but the dock was being held up by jugs! I didn't really trust it, but the dock felt (mostly) stable even when grace and I were bent over to take pictures.

This Picture was all about team work. its hard to tell in the reflection, but I was holding one of my flip-flops above the camera to decrease the glare on the photo. I like how huge Grace's hand looks in the photo. This lion fish is bigger than it appears (classic fish story) in comparison to Grace's hand. I think it must have been trying to eat the crabs because it was holding so still that we thought it was dead except for the occasional tail wag. There was a crab that ran around the poll in the corner of the shot as the fish approached. The wildlife on the dock sure beat the catfish and carp you'd see clamoring around the docks at Lake Powell. I could have reached in and grabbed it. but the whole poison stings thing didn't sound great.

I'm on this new diet. I call it (drum roll) ... KENYA!!!! or maybe I should call it correct portion sizes, or not so American portion sizes. I'm sorry if this is a reiteration but I found out that I've lost 5 more pounds, taking me to a grand total of 15 since arriving in the country. The best part is that I'm not even really trying to lose weight. You just can't help but eat more correctly here. The foods aren't processed, the portion sizes are healthier, and fast food is as healthy as anything you would eat at home. I love it. I'll post after Lamu.

No comments: