Saturday, January 31, 2009

Yo... I has a beard now... Aight?

So last time I was home my Dad goes... Son... I think you should grow a beard. And then I go... O, For real? And then he's all... Ya. So I'm all... Okai. Just kidding. But really. I have a beard. There had been two reasons that I had never grown a beard. A. I was at BYU where oddly, mustaches are A-OK but they put the kibosh on beards in the 70's. I never really complained while I was there about it. I don't really mind. Although the irony of allowing mustaches - until very very recently considered very uncool and even creepy - and not beards always struck me as odd. Reason B. was that as soon as I graduated, I started working for a healthcare company founded by the church and still espouses its conservative stances on many things. I didn't want to rock the boat. I'd rather advance my career than my appearance after all (for further evidence of this see also my waistline). But in October my boss came back from a trip with a full beard. He had always struck me as very very Mormon so this surprised me. It made me feel like I could let loose around the guy a little more though and as if he wouldn't mind if I also grew a beard of my very own. Anyway. With my two main obstacles gone, I decided over Christmas to try the whole beard thing out. I really only wanted to see what it looked like at first. By the time I returned to work after the new year, I was beyond scruff but not to full beard status yet. I started getting random compliments from coworkers who never seemed to me like the I would compliment you on your new beard if I liked it type of guys. But the compliments came flowing in. Then Beckah - a total dime - turned bright red when Cajun told me (right in front of her) that she thought I looked handsome with a beard. So despite the fact that this was meant to be a 3 /4 week experiment, I still have my beard. I also have the very first pictures of said beard ready to post. So... I give you.... MY BEARD. ENJOY.

























This is my beard and I doing Tai Chi at a small get together.

















This picture is of Dustin Bolt and my beard at the same party.


















This is me allowing you to get up close and personal with the beard.


I'm thinking I'll chop it off in two weeks. But I've been saying that for a month now - So who knows?

3 comments:

Jim said...

Oh... and the rest of us with beards are chopped liva'? (said with my best New York accent)..

Beard looks great!

Next time... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY8gja0_CCA and note - the guy looks tons better with it!

Start typing in google ... 'Beards are in" has 17.1 million hits!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I'm not usually a fan of beards, but I gotta admit yours looks good. Of course, Dad's did, too, and we all know what happened to that. You better shave yours off quick before you get called to be elders quorum president or something. :)

meggan said...

My beard and I doing tai chi? You kill me. Clearly it is time for us to play again, I'll send you an outlook appointment...