Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Wanted: Type A personalities

The weather has been really great for the last few days. I got to church without needing to wring out my shirt and have done the same going to and from work so far this week. I love that this seems like a real accomplishment. The most recent dilemma we’re running into at work is not the conventional problem we face in the US where our bosses are usually far too pushy. We are consistently looking for some superior figure to start cracking a whip around the office. We have a lot of ideas about changes we feel could make the companies we intern for more successful, but no one is accountable to ensure that the changes we enact will remain in force after we leave. It seems paradoxic but I’m longing for a pushy authoritative boss to whip everyone here including me into shape. We went to an orphanage this weekend. It was the first time that I’ve really stopped and thought about how unfair the world seems. I’ve heard thousands of explanations and theories, but as I stood in a home smaller than most apartments in the US which housed 35 children, I really was at a loss for words and reasoning for what seems somewhat unjust. Despite how poor the conditions seemed, the kids were really happy and upbeat. In other news, I’m looking forward to the 3 day weekend that starts Friday. We may head up to a nature reserve or something. I’ll keep you posted.



This is me holding a puffer fish at the beach - I assume that whole is its ear.


We helped make dinner at the orphanage


The Mirror on the roof of the matatu was entertaining. I like how creepy the picture looks.


A couple of days ago I wrote about E-lite Cafe. This guy wanted to show my friend grace "what Kenyans do". Whatever that means


Turns out that what we made for the kids was good. The flies liked it anyway.


20 People on 1 matatu was a record. You can see 3 people standing in the background just inside the sliding door

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

Found this article and thought it interesting. It is an atlas looking for connections between poverty in Kenya and the natural enviornment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSL2659123320070529?src=052907_1326_ARTICLE_PROMO_also_on_reuters

Caitlin said...

I found this article on an atlas showing a link between the poverty in Kenya and the surrounding natural enviornment. Although, I am not sure if you will find it interesting seeing as how you are experiencing it first hand.

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSL2659123320070529?src=052907_1326_ARTICLE_PROMO_also_on_reuters

Lessthanzer0 said...

Glad to see the 3rd world country is treating you moderately well...quite brave of you to travel there as i wouldnt even travel into santa ana lol

have fun and be safe

-Tyler

Jim said...

I'm really enjoying your blog - thanks for sharing this experience. You're inspiring me to use some of my vacation to do more than sit on a beach - although volunteer work NEAR the beach is sounding quite enticing! Glad you're keeping an eye on your friend Grace - she, and the Kenyans - are lucky to have you there. Keep up the good work, watch out for bosses with whips - and keep bloggin'!