Monday, May 21, 2007

It's Hitting me

I've been living here for five days now and slowly its sinking in that I'm living in a third world country. The novelty hasn't really worn off yet. I've gotten used to being sweaty all the time. The first thing that really hit me about Kenya is how the complete chaos that is everyday life here is somehow amazingly cohesive. All of the videos you see on youtube of people driving in India etc. pretty much illustrate perfectly how driving here is. Chaos - total and complete chaos. Everyone here (or at least the ones that can afford it) ride in "Matatus"(pronounced with long u sounds and the a is like the o in hot). Imagine 1980's Toyota minivans that are completely stripped then re outfitted with new seats. they have 9 seats in them and I've seen over 15 people packed into cars smaller than a Honda odyssey. pictures will follow... I promise.
This is me in a semi full Matatu

Everywhere we go we are a minority. Its interesting to see how different members of our group respond to that. Some people act like royalty trying to please the peasants by their benevolent kindness. It comes off extremely condescending as they speak louder and slower to the black native English speakers than to the white ones. Other people take a much more liberal "hey we're all people" approach. I hope I'm more the latter than the prior. People here always expect that you're rich and you just have to keep a close watch on your change at stores. A lot of merchants just assume you won't tell them when they've tried to give you less than adequate change. Its been my experience that they do this too the locals too. but its worse with us. What fun right?


Our office is nice. The politics that go into choosing and assigning offices are much different than the US as it turns out. We have a corner office on the top floor with the MOST amazing view. Check out this picture.

This is the view out of our office. Rough life eh?

5 comments:

Phillip said...

Wow, Andrew...Kenya looks like a beautiful country. Some of the stuff that you talked about, like the atmosphere at the airport and the crowded buses/vans and the constant sweat, remind me of my experience in Mexico. The Vans weren't necessarily as big as you're describing, but they were usually just as packed!

How long do you find that you're in the office, and how much time do you spend away?

Phillip

Jim said...

Yeah - same deal in Central America - except they used old US school busses - imagine taking public transportation in an bus that says "Albuquerque School Disctrict" .... but I imagine the "third world" I knew in Honduras/Panama/Costa Rica is not anything near what you're experiencing! Sounds like you're settling in quite well!

Unknown said...

Hey Andrew - Glad to hear your travels were uneventful and you've arrived safely. Your descriptive narrative of your experiences and impressions of Kenya makes me feel as though I've been there myself. Thank you. Just remember that 'only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun'. Look forward to hearing more.

Robb

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Uruguay definitely had the sweat factor, but there the family vehicle of choice was a motorcycle. It wasn't unusual to see four or five people cruising along on a moped.

Thanks for sharing your Kenya adventure with us. Looking forward to hearing more. :)

Caitlin said...

I'm glad you are there safe and sound. Can't wait to read your updates. Be good.