Saturday, May 26, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean: A Case study in the Sacredness of Marriage

Yesterday was a very busy day. As it turned out, I didn’t work nearly as much as usual. One of the other interns and I went into town for one thing and ended up accomplishing three or four- mostly shopping. I love being able to bargain with a store owner on prices. I bought a jump drive and a cell phone. The cell phone is a Linux based Motorola phone called the “Motofone”, which I may have told some of you about a few months ago. It’s a phone that’s designed to cater to, and be sold in lower income markets (i.e. most of the world). It claims 300 hours battery life on standby and 50 hours of talk time. The best part is that although the casing and some of the features are as modern as you can find right now, it only cost 37 dollars with activation. Because everyone here uses prepaid, I have no contract to honor. Its awesome. Sorry to geek out for a minute, I’m pretty excited though. We went and got lunch around four and then our boss said he wanted to go see Pirates of the Caribbean. It only cost six dollars and was honestly one of the nicest theaters I’ve ever been in. We were all taken by surprise when the 20 minute intermission started midway through the movie. I liked it for the most part as far as big blockbuster movies go. My favorite part was the fifteen minutes in the middle where you wonder if you were suddenly watching a Kubrick film. I should end here. I think we’re going to the beach today. Awesome.



Grocery Store - Sort of



Matatu Drivers make New York Cab drivers look like wimps. This one decided it was safe to drive FULL SPEED down the sidewalk.



This is the Cell phone I bought. Its ghetto but in the good way.

1 comment:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

The safest, most courteous drivers in Uruguay were taxis looking for customers. On the other hand, the scariest ones were the taxis that already HAD customers and were rushing them to their destinations.

Congrats on the phone. :)

Btw, what sort of work do you do when you're at the office?